Re: minimal files essential for booting ?

Brian May <bam@snoopy.apana.org.au> writes:

> In article <[🔎] 19980806010255.17734@humble> you write:
> >	I went nuts partitioning the new disk.  I was mostly just
> >experimenting.  Many will think I have gone needlessly overboard.  I won't
> >disagree.  The old disk has two partitions, one being swap.  The new disk
> >has a partition for just about everything.  These directories all live on
> >their own partitions:
> >	/usr
> >	/usr/local
> >	/var
> >	/home
> >	/etc
> >	/bin
> >	/tmp
> >	/lib
> >

> I think the FSTND standard requires these directories to be available
> during boot:
> /bin
> /dev
> /etc
> /lib
> /tmp
> /sbin
>
> (Note that /etc and /tmp must be writable, I don't know about the rest.)
>
> I can't remember about /var, but suspect that it is required for
> /var/run, /var/lock, and /var/log.

/var can be on its own partition without any problem - in fact, it is
possible to have /tmp on its own partition too, but in that case there
must still be some room in the / partition for a small /tmp directory
that the system can use before mounting the real /tmp.

The rest of your partitioning setup, though, seems fine.  Just move
/lib, /bin, and /etc back to your / partition and all should be fine.

And the boot process (and going into single user mode for
maintenance/backups) is the only time when you have to worry whether
enough programs are present on certain partitions.