Re: xfstt 0.9.9-5 is not serving for some reason.

On Thu, Aug 06, 1998 at 11:49:02AM -0700, Christopher Barry wrote:
> Adding FontPath "unix/:7101" solved the problem. I don't know why the
> xfstt installation doesn't put this in there for you automatically,

well...as the xfstt maintainer I will say this...
adding the fontpath to XF86Config would be a bad idea. xfstt can not do
this itself.

If you installed it as part of a massive installation and had no fonts
ready to go...it would be a "Bad Thing". If xfstt wasn't properly
ready and started (which since xfstt can't come with any fonts it
can't be setup and running automatically) and its in the
fontpath...the xserver wont run.

> or
> at least tell you to do it after adding ttf fonts to the proper
> directory, but it should.

yes it should...this is wishlist bug#22912 (originally opened 68 days ago)
I am working on this...will hopefully be in the next upload
(with hopefully the final bug squashing for the init.d script)

> Also, why the switch to unix/:7101? Because
> unix/:7100 conflicts with xfs (though I never had problems)?

yes that is why it was moved. I wanted to move it for a while then
bug# 24238 came along and I realized I wasn't the only one wanting it
changed...so I did it.

> Say, when
> is someone going to package xfsft for Debian anyways?

hmmm I thought about it once. I chose to package xfstt because it was easier.
the main problem right now with xfsft is xbase.

I read on the X Strike Force Web page (I forget the URL) about plans to
split up xbase so that xdm, xfs etc are separate packages...that will make
xfstft much easier to package I think (since it is a full replacement for
xfs)

hope this info helps...and I will be working on adding some notification
(tho it is all in the docs ;) ...one of the reasons I took over
xfstt was because it didn't have hardly any docs in /usr/doc/xfstt)

-Steve

> Remco van de Meent wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 6 Aug 1998, Christopher Barry wrote:
> >
> >  : I recently grabbed the latest xfstt from Slink and I removed the old
> >  : xfstt first before upgrading (maybe this is where I went wrong).
> >  : Anyways, the new xfstt installed without giving any error messages but
> >  : when I started X and Netscape, Netscape was no longer using truetype
> >  : fonts and I could no longer select them from edit -> preferences ->
> >  : fonts. I looked at my XF86Config file and noticed there was no longer a
> >  : FontPath "unix/:7100" entry but adding one just made X fail to start
> >  : (could not open default font "fixed" error or something like that). I
> >  : rebooted also before trying all of this again and xfstt starts up just
> >  : fine at boot time so I'm clueless here.
> >
> > I'm using the same xfstt and it works for me. Are you sure the fonts are
> > still in place, as you said your removed your old xfstt?
> >
> > I'm running a 'normal' xfs on port 7100, and xfstt on 7101. So I specified
> > both in XF86Config.
> >
> > Good luck,
> >  -Remco
>

> --

E-mail "Bumper Stickers":
"A FREE America or a Drug-Free America: You can't have both!"
"honk if you Love Linux"