Re: daily thinkpad 770 ed post :-)

At around Thu, 6 Aug 1998 04:27:31 -0400 (EDT),
 Steve Hsieh <steveh@eecs.umich.edu> may have mentioned:

> The only way we were able to get our thinkpad to boot debian was to
> rebuild the kernel using 'make zimage' instead of 'bzimage'. The tecra fix
> doesn't work for 2.0.34 or above for us.  The other alternative is to use
> the development 2.1.1xx kernel. A make zimage for that does work.

i did try something like this earlier, but i think i ended up w/ something
like:

  "unable to open initial console"

after the root filesystem was mounted read-only.

i'll give this a try again -- what i did before was to take the zimage
that i compiled and replace it w/ the kernel image on an existing rescue
disk.  is there anything else i should do besides replace the kernel?

btw, does anyone know how to report these bugs?  is boot-floppies the
appropriate package to report this under in the bug tracking system?

thanks for your attention.

-sen