Re: Password to single user boot.

Ossama Othman <othman@astrosun.tn.cornell.edu> writes:
OO> By the way, I don't think I understood what you and David were
OO> talking about concerning mbr and the master boot record and floppy
OO> booting.  Could you please elaborate?

The default Debian setup allows you to select which partition to boot
from, before selecting a default.  On my system (with only /dev/hda2
marked bootable), I see a "2FA:" prompt.  If I press any keys here, I
can press "2" (boot from hda2), "F" (boot from floppy), or "A", which
changes the prompt to "1234F:" and allows me to boot from any
partition.  This is a useful feature for Debian, and completely
undesirable behavior for the system you describe.

--
/                             \       "Dad was reading a book called