rescue disk fails boot, 486 motherboard

My project to build a gargabe can linux computer is stalled once again.  A
used 486 motherboard cannot boot the Debian rescue disks, and fails as soon
as the slackware root disk is read.  W/ debian disks, the kernel fails
usually right after a message during kernel boot:
     Skipping ... PCI HBA ...
     (something like that).

Once it got a bit beyond that on a cold boot.

This is not a PCI motherboard.

I'm not sure where to begin to identify what boot parameters might be used.
Is there a guide somewhere?

Does this limited information mean anything to anyone?  What is HBA?  I get
a picture is has something to do with DMA.   There is an IDE disk drive on
board.  Might this be a sign the drive is no good?

ALan
--
Alan E. Davis                       Marianas High School (Science Department)
AAA196, Box 10001    adavis@netpci.com   http://www.saipan.netpci.com/~adavis