Re: dwww and apache

On Wed, 5 Aug 1998 vaidhy@wwdg.com wrote:

> I just installed dwww and apache web server. I need to set up my system
> as a host. How do I do it? I know I have to edit resolv.conf.  My
> resolv.conf has just the entries for my ISP nameserver. So how do I give
> my system a IP address..?

Look at the output of /sbin/ifconfig, that will show you the active
interfaces and associated ip addresses on your system.  Say 1.2.3.4 is the
ip address of the eth0 (ethernet) or ppp0 (modem) interface, then the dwww
pages are served by apache on http://1.2.3.4/dwww .

If you only want to browse the pages from your ownn computer, then it is
even easier: you don't need an ethernet or modem line, just use the lo
(loopback) interface.  Every linux machine with tcp/ip support has one and
it always has address 127.0.0.1, so http://127.0.0.1/dwww would work from
your system.

In the loopback case, you can also use http://localhost/dwww as every
Debian system is set up to associate the 127.0.0.1 address with the
"localhost" name by default.  For the possible other interfaces, this is a
bit trickier and I will not attempt to go into the matter any further than
pointing you at "man 5 resolv.conf", "man 5 host.conf", the NET-3-HOWTO,
the Linux Network Administrator's Guide, the BIND documentation and last
but not least the relevant RFC's.  IIRC http://sunsite.unc.edu/LDP is a
goldmine of documentation.

Cheers,

Joost