Re: Password to single user boot.

Liran Zvibel <liranz@math.tau.ac.il> writes:
LZ> We consider putting Linuxes (or should it be Linuces? )in the
LZ> classes, but don't want the students to be able to boot single
LZ> user and then rm -r *, or open accounts and try to get into the
LZ> network.
LZ>
LZ> Is there an easy was to put a password on single user boot?

Debian does this by default.  However, it does not prevent someone
from rebooting the machine, and typing "linux init=/bin/sh" at the
LILO prompt, which will yield a root shell.

LZ> If not, I have and idea how to prevent it:
LZ> 1. Repartition that way that there is another primary partition of
LZ> about 1 MB in size.
LZ> 2. dd the kernel to that partition (after it was 'rdev'ed to the
LZ> real root partition.
LZ> 3. Make this partition the only one bootable.

(You'll need to install something besides the default Debian boot
loader, since that _will_ let you boot from any partition if you know
what you're doing.)

LZ> 4. Disable the possibility to boot from the floppy drive in the  (password
LZ> protected) bios. (And the computers are locked so they (the
LZ> students) can't clear the bios settings with the jumpers)

(Again, the default Debian boot loader will let you boot from floppy
anyways.)

--
/                             \       "Dad was reading a book called