Re: Debian backup software.

On Tue, Aug 04, 1998 at 05:45:52PM -0700, David Welton wrote:
> Hi, I need to back up 4 or 5 local Debian boxes, and am wondering
> which of the various backup programs included in Debian have worked
> well for people.  I've had a look at afbackup and tob, and they seem
> *ok*, but nothing spectacular.  I am more interested in something that
> is safe and simple... I am not very knowledgable about these sorts of
> things, and I want something I can get a handle on quickly, and trust,
> rather that something that perhaps has more functionality, but might
> mess me up if I goof up a config or something...

well it depenmds on how you wish to back up ;)
I have a SCSI tape drive and swear by them...ok so I don't really have
easy random file acess...but...
it is swift for backup and restore and thats all I need.

on the software side to adress your question...
I use good old GNU Tar.

I have 1 root partition with everything (no separate /usr or /var)
so i just

tar clvf /dev/st0 /
     ^ this prevents it from backinf up:
a) floppies or CDROMs I have mounted
b) /proc (a substantial oops with 128 MB of physical ram (remmeber /proc/kcore)

then for restore...I use "TOm's Unix on a Floppy" and

cpio -i </dev/st0
(tom's root boot floppy doesn't have GNU tar)

works great every time...saved my ass more than once

-Steve

--
** Stephen Carpenter ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** sjc@delphi.com **
"All authority is quite degrading."