RE: Stuck In Limbo

I would *really* recommend staying with hamm. All development and
quite a lot of users are going to be moving forward with hamm.

It sounds like your only problem is with getting packages to install
with dselect - correct ?

Is deselect not able to get the list of available files ?

Or is the installation of packages not working ?
Probably the simplest, if you know what package you want installed,
is to go to the directory where the package is, and execute the
command (as root):

dpkg -i package_name.deb

If the package doesn't have any dependancies, it will install just
fine. If it does have dependancies, then it won't install - however
the solution is fairly simple.

Just start dselect, go strait to [S]elect. dselect will automatically
select the dependancies for the package you wanted to install above, so
you don't have to scroll through the files to find the dependant files.

After finishing resolving the dependancies, continue the installation,
and things *should* go well.

Let me know if the real problem is that dselect doesn't know how to
find the files in the distribution.

Thanks !
Geoff Brimhall

E-Mail: Geoffrey L. Brimhall <brimhall@pobox.com>