Re: Was the release of Debian 2.0 put on Linux Announce?

On 3 Aug 1998, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> 	We have remained alive without having to jump through hoops
>  for lusers so far.

Because Debian has, in the past, been on the forefront of things like
standardization.

> 	manoj
>  if they call me a geek, I call them a luser

Manoj, I find that remark disturbing. That is who you are writing the
software for. The luser community produces the developers over time.
Without a stong and vital user base, you will not attract a good developer
community. If something happens to make Debian user-hostile and your user
base dwindles, you will find that your developer base will dwindle as
well.

The user community must have some kind of influence on the development
community or they will go where their needs are being met. The market
decides what is best, not the manufacturer. If nobody uses it, it is a
waste of time making it. If commercial applications are available for all
version except Debian, then Debian will never be more than a hobbyist
distribution because few of the lusers will even try it.

George Bonser

Microsoft! Which end of the stick do you want today?