Kernel panic

I'm trying to install Debian 2.0 (Beta) from CheapBytes cdrom.
Everything works except I can't boot from hard disk.
I've copied my previous Debian 1.3 installation to another computer and
started from scratch, maintaning the same partitioning and reformatting
them.
My computer has three HD's and a IDE ATAPI CdRom: a Quantum Fireball 6.4
on hda (booting Win95), a Seagate Medalist ST36531A on hdb1 (mounted on
/home), a Western Digital WD3400L on hdc (hdc1 on / , a swap hdc2 and
hdc3 on /usr).
First partition on hdc is 70.88 MB and toggled bootable.
When I tried to boot from HD I got this message(the last and frozen
screen):

> Partition check
> hda: hda1 hda2
> hdb: hdb: set_multmode: status=0x51 {DriveReady SeekComplete Error}
> hdb: set_multmode: error=0x04 {DriveStatusError}
> hdb1
> hdc: [PTBL] [969/128/63] hdc1 hdc2 hdc3
> attempt to access beyond end of device
> 03:03: rw=0, want=2, limit=0
> EXT2_fs:unable to read superblock
> attempt to access beyond end of device
> 03:03: rw=0, want=2, limit=0
> MINIX_fs:unable to read superblock
> attempt to access beyond end of device
> 03:03: rw=0, want=2, limit=0
> FAT bread failed
> attempt to access beyond end of device
> 03:03: rw=0, want=2, limit=0
> isofs_read_super: bread failed, de 03:03 iso_blknum 16 block 32
> Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root on 03:03

 If I booted from floppy everything worked well. Then I tried to copy my
original lilo.conf from my previous Debian 1.3 (it was working fine in
this same machine, same partitioning scheme! And with the same
"DriveReady SeekComplete Error" for hdb...) and rerun lilo. This was the
mesage:

> Warning: Bios drive 0x82 may not be accessible
> Warning: Bios drive 0x82 may not be accessible
> Added Win95*
> Warning: Bios drive 0x82 may not be accessible
> Added Linux
> Warning: Bios drive 0x82 may not be accessible
> Added Linux_2

And obviously I can boot only from floppy.
I think it's quite strange. Anyone can *help me*?

--
Adalberto da Silva
Instituto Astronomico e Geofisico