Need help connecting to network in new 2.0 installation

During a new Debian 2.0 installation, the ne2000-compatible ethernet adapter
driver installed without complaint, and the TCP/IP numbers were correct.
Yet, when linux boots, it gives the message "SIOCADDRT:Network is
unreachable." What can I do to troubleshoot this?
I know that the network connection should be good, since it worked properly
under win95 before I erased it. Thanks in advance.