Re: Alt keys stopped working in Xemacs

Did you happen to upgrade your X windows packages? With the new and improved XKB
extensions, the keyboard setup for "Windows" keyboards with those new funny windows
keys, the ALT keys are now ALT and the phunkey windows keys are now META keys. You
want your ALT keys to be meta keys. You can edit the files in /usr/lib/X11/xkb/* to
fix this. In my opinion, ALT keys should be meta keys on this type of keyboard because
otherwise the META key is not in a comfortable place.

Lee Bradshaw wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Sometime between Saturday and Monday morning my Alt keys stopped working
> in Xemacs. I thought the only change I made was adding
>
>   (setq delete-key-deletes-forward t)
>
> however after backing out this change Alt still doesn't work. The
> Ctrl-Alt-Fx combination still works to change to a virtual terminal from
> X, so the alt key seems to be working.
>
> Ex. <Alt-x> prints "A-x not defined" in the minibuffer. "Esc-x" prints the
> correct "M-x".
>
> I tried to insert the character into a buffer with <Ctrl-q><Alt-x>. I received
> the following message in the minibuffer:
>
>   key read cannot be inserted in a buffer: #<keypress-event alt-x>
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions on debugging this problem?
>
> --
> Lee Bradshaw                 lee@sectionIV.com (preferred)
> Alantro Communications       lee@alantro.com
>
> --