Re: raidtools-0.42

On Mon, Jul 27, 1998 at 02:06:28PM +0200, Matus fantomas Uhlar wrote:
> Hello,
> i tried to install raidtools on 2.0.35 kernel ; It said:
>
> You're using a kernel version older than 2.1.63.  This package is
> not designed to work with it.  You should install the mdutils
> package instead or upgrade your kernel.
>
> hmmm afaik
> 1. 2.0.35 is newer then 2.1.63

true 2.0.35 is much newer (time wise) than 2.1.63 but...it is part of the
"stable" 2.0.x kernels...this would seem to imply that raidtools uses
features from 2.1.x (soon to be 2.2.x stable) many of these are just not in
2.0.x even in the newest versions (remember no new features in stable...
just bug fixes...well ok thats not exactly true but...)

> 2. it CAN do RAID.

yes the 2.0.35 kernel config has options under "multiple devices driver"
for RAID up to RAID 5...it also (in the help) gives a URL to the
page where the needed utils are...
(running make menuconfig now to see it)
from the help:
raidtools, a set of user-space tools which create and maintain
RAID1/4/5 sets, is available at:
http://luthien.nuclecu.unam.mx/~miguel/raid

is that where you got it? if so...maybe you just need to "use the source"
and "modify" its routine for checking kernel version? Maybe it is just old and
doesn't realize that kernel 2.0.35 has the features it needs?

> is it a bug of raidtools or should I really use 2.1 kernel ?

could be either...id make sure you have the latest version
BTW very first thing to check (before even thinking of looking at the
raidtools source and modifying it) is to see if your kernel has
the proper drivers compiled in...
you need to:
A) turn on "Floppy, IDE, and Block Devices->Multiple Devices Driver Support"
and under that at least 1 of:
< >    Linear (append) mode
< >    RAID-0 (striping) mode
< >    RAID-1 (mirroring) mode
< >    RAID-4/RAID-5 mode

-Steve

> --
>  Matus "fantomas" Uhlar, sysadmin at NETLAB+ Kosice, Slovakia
>  BIC coord for *.sk; admin of netlab.irc.sk; co-admin of irc.felk.cvut.cz
>

> --

E-mail "Bumper Stickers":
"A FREE America or a Drug-Free America: You can't have both!"
"honk if you Love Linux"