Re: startup info

Richard wrote:

> This works for redhat:
> Edit innitab and put in --noclear as follows in the relevant line.
>
> 1:12345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty1 --noclear
>
> After bootup the screen is not cleared for login, you can then
> use shift pageup to see all the bootup text. A trick I found
> on the RH list. (not tested it on deb yet as I am waiting for
> my 2.0 cd before changing over)
>
> Regards all
> Richard
>
> Ed Cogburn <ecogburn@greene.xtn.net> wrote:
> > Robert Rati wrote:
> > >
> > > Can someone tell me where all the information at startup is logged?  Dmesg
> > > doesn't show me enough of the info.  Thanks.
> > >

> >         This comes up occasionally, and the answer is that, unfortunately, not
> > all of what is printed during boot-up is saved in logs.

	True, but mingetty isn't the standard getty used by debian.  The
standard getty doesn't clear the screen anyway.  I'm not sure that the
--noclear switch even applies to it (--noclear is a mingetty switch).  I
was referring to the fact that not everything that is printed during
boot-up is stored in a log file anywhere.  This was an issue that came
up a couple of months ago in this list.  There is currently no way to
'fix' this problem (would require major, non-trivial kernel hack - and
maybe just isn't possible).

--
Ed