Re: logged out automatically because of excess idle time

*-George Bonser (26 Jul)
| On Sun, 26 Jul 1998, Xiaonan Ma wrote:
|
| > I tried both /proc/<pidnum>/cmdline and "ps axw", still can't find idled.
| > Is it possible that some other process is doing it? Looks like it checks
| > every 10 minutes since it logged out at time 13:30, 02:00 ...
| >
| > regards
| > xiaonan
| >

| Ok, it might be your shell.  Bash, for example, has a variable called
| TMOUT. Do the following command and see if it returns anything (if you are
| using the bash shell):
|
| echo $TMOUT
|
| >From the bash manpage:
|
| TMOUT  If  set  to a value greater than zero, the value is
|               interpreted as the number of seconds  to  wait  for
|               input  after issuing the primary prompt.  Bash ter
|               minates after waiting for that number of seconds if
|               input does not arrive.

For tcsh shell the autologout variable controls the same thing.

And from the tcsh man page:

       autologout (+)
               The first word is the number of minutes  of  inac­
               tivity  before automatic logout. The optional sec­
               ond word is the number of  minutes  of  inactivity
               before automatic locking.  When the shell automat­
               ically logs out, it prints `auto-logout', sets the
               variable  logout  to  `automatic' and exits.  When
               the  shell  automatically  locks,  the   user   is
               required  to  enter his password to continue work­
               ing. Five incorrect attempts result  in  automatic
               logout.   Set  to  `60' (automatic logout after 60
               minutes, and no locking) by default in  login  and
               superuser  shells,  but not if the shell thinks it
               is running under a window system (i.e. the DISPLAY
               environment variable is set), the tty is a pseudo-
               tty (pty) or the shell was not  so  compiled  (see
               the version shell variable).  See also the afsuser
               and logout shell variables.

--
Brian