ppp change?

I just installed kernel 2.0.35 and have noticed a change in ppp behavior,
if my memory serves me right.

I normally login as a user and start ppp by going su momentarily to issue
command 'pon' and then exit back to user. This still works as usual.

However, if I log in as root and issue 'pon' the modem still dials, but
the negotiations for the ppp link perhaps fail. I never get net access.

Is this an administrative change or has something gone astray in my
recompile?

TIA, Richard