Re: any risk in using /home/root

On: Sun, 26 Jul 1998 10:43:55 +0800 Jieyao  writes:

> I have one partition which I had mounted as /home.  I figured that
> since this is gonna store user information and files, I might as
> well put the root home there too.  So I created /home/root and
> change /root to a symbolic link to /home/root Is there any security
> risk in doing this?
>
> One problem that I can think of is if there is any serious problem
> and the other partition can't mount than probably root can
                                                         ^^^
> login. This is correct?

I assume you meant "can't" here ;-)

If the home directory of some user don't exists, it is automatically
logged on with HOME=/ (I just tried it with root).  The only problem
would be the unusual environment if you used to define some helpful
aliases and shell functions.  But a sysadmin should be able to work
without these.

A bigger problem would be a shell that lies on a separate partition
(such as /usr), this is the only reason I still use /bin/bash as login
shell for root (otherwise /usr/bin/zsh would be my favorite).

I can't see any other problem with the root's home directory on a
separate partition, if you used the correct file and directory
permissions.

	Torsten