Re: home network w/win'98 & Debian

Jesus Duran writes:

> Greetings all,
>

> i'll try to keep this as short was possible....
> i need someone to point me somewhere where i can find info on
> networking.....such as setup and protocols, hardware etc...

Have you ever heard of the NAG?  Network administrators guide written
by Olaf Kirch?  It's one of hte first LDP documents that nowadays is
available in printed form, too.  Published by O'Reillys iirc.

> here's the setup....i have 6 computers and would like to setup a linux box
> for internet access, printing, email (not that hard...i have read the
> FAQ's and am eager to start..)
> here's my question(s)...

> i also want to set up a windows box to serve the slower win boxes that do
> not have alot of HD space.....

Why not installing Samba on the Linux machine?  That would be easier to
maintaine and faster.

> to access them both by about 3 different computers....should i use hubs???

6 machines?  That normaly can be handle by 10Base2.  If you want to make
it failsafe, use a HUB, of course, $100 for an 8 port hub, so that's no
cost.

> if so how??? what kind of networking cards/cable  should i use??? for
> win98???
> for debian???

Doh, you're lacking basic networking knowledge.

10Base2 = Coax cable = Coax cable with BNC connnectors
10BaseT = UTP = Unshielded Twisted Pair = TP cable with RJ45 connectors.

Regards,

	Joey

--
Whenever you meet yourself you're in a time loop or in front of a mirror.