Re: Questions from a new user [forwarded]

Hi...

Libc5 and libc6 is the conflict. These are the Linux C library and GNU C
library, respectively. Either or both can be used on a system, but one of
them is required; these libraries drive most Linux systems. Using version
6 (or the GNU C Library, version 2) is recommended; it's more secure and
stable. However, despite some interesting little problem in Debian's
packaging, libc5 and libc6 could not be installed concurrently. Despite
that, these packages DO work together, if you follow the upgrade
instructions. For now, though, just write some floppies from the hamm
distribution (ftp.cdrom.com://pub/linux/debian/ has it and is quite fast)
and install hamm clean. (hamm is debian 2.0 by the way) It should work
without even having to install libc5. Using apt-get will not solve this
problem. Good luck.

By the way, installing hamm clean shouldn't break your system.

Alex