ip port forwarding doesn't work anymore

I'm having trouble getting ip port forwarding to work.  I installed the
debian ipportfw package and correctly setup the tables (ipportfw -L shows
the right information), but when I telnet to the forwarded port, nothing
happens.  It just waits -- no connection refused or any messages.  If I
telnet directly to the remote port, it works fine.

I'm using kernel 2.0.35 (and tried 34) with the lastest ip port forwarding
patches (subs-patch-1.36.gz).  I recompiled the kernel w/ ipportfw
support, of course.

... I used to have this working and I don't recall setting anything else
up.

What could be wrong?

Thanks
-Paul