Re: Telnet

On Fri, 24 Jul 1998, Tomt wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Before I ask my question I want to give you all an update. I have posted
> here before when I was having a problem with my nic card not working and
> all the suggestions as to what could be the problem are greatly
> appreciated.  I would like to say that I figured out what the problem was
> but I can't. I just played with it a little and it started to work. <gasp>
> Sounds like a MS operating system <G>
>
> Heres my next question,
>
> Now that that I got everything working, I was telneting into my linux box
> and just playing around.
>
> One thing I have noticed is that I cannot login as root across a telnet
> connection.
> Anyone tell me why?  And if its possible to change that to were I can login
> through telnet?
>
> I want to be able to have a computer were I can login through telnet and do
> about anything. And no I'm not worried about security, it's not even going
> to get connected to the internet just my lan.

Hmmm, check the /etc/securetty file. It contain's tty's (no /dev/) - one
per line - that root can login on. add some ttypX 's say ttyp0-ttyp9.

If it is only going to be your LAN, and you trust everyone, fine... but
never on the net. :) that means hackers/crackers/whatever only have to get
ONE password, not two. (normal user's password --> su --> root password)

                       Michael Beattie (mickyb@es.co.nz)