Re: Bo crashes under heavy disk load

On: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 14:42:36 +0300 Jaakko Niemi writes:

>>> I can repeatably crash two (nearly) stock Debian 1.3 systems using
>>> one or more scripts, such as
>>>
>>> find /usr |xargs grep some-arbitrary-string
>>>
>>> looping with some background activity to use up CPU cycles.
>>>
>>> The systems seem stable, otherwise.  Only common hardware are
>>> ultra-SCSI disks and controllers (AHA-2940).  Any ideas?
>
>  Do you get any logs / errors ?
>
>  You might want to try newer kernels which have newer drivers for
>  the SCSI cards, if this seems disk io related.

You can try the aic-driver which is available at

	ftp://ftp.dialnet.net/pub/linux/aic7xxx/

I made some good experience, this driver seems to be more stable than
the one included in 2.0.33 (which I currently use), especially when
activating special features such as SCB paging and tagged command
queueing.

BTW: the aic7xxx driver changed alot in the last kernel releases, you
might also give 2.0.34 or 2.0.35 a try.

	Torsten

--
Girls marry for love.  Boys marry because of a chronic irritation that
causes them to gravitate in the direction of objects with certain