Re: mt and Colorado Jumbo 250 problems

On Fri, 17 Jul 1998, Will Lowe wrote:

> I'm trying to use mt to move a tape in my Colorado Jumbo 250 so that I can
> put an archive behind the one already on the tape ... I'm using
>
> mt -f /dev/ftape fsf 1
>
> where /dev/ftape is a symlink to /dev/rft0.  I know the link works ok,
> because I use it with tar.

 Well, that's not quite the device you want to use anyway. If you're
trying to position the tape, you need to use /dev/nrft0. This is the
"non-rewinding" device. When you use /dev/rft0, it rewinds after every
operation.

> I'm getting
>
> mt: /dev/ftape: Input/output error
>
> and the tape isn't moving.  Any ideas?

 It may be that ftape realizes you're trying to use the wrong device, but
I'd hope it would give a more reasonable error message. Try /dev/nrft0 and
see how it works.

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles           (248) 377-7735       ray.ingles@fanucrobotics.com

     Anagrams of "digital_nervous_system", Microsoft's new slogan:

smutty_derisive_slogan   glossy_derisive_mutant   gaudy_violent_mistress
admit_ourselves_stingy   survey_longtime_sadist   vulgar_sedition_system
lying_devious_mattress   reveal_stud_misogynist   smudgy_television_tsar
sly_devious_smattering   stodgy_virtual_nemesis   molest_industry_visage