Re: Debian & Std C++?

Hi,

g++ 2.7.2.3 is fairly out of date with respect to C++ standards.  Use egcs
C++ 1.x instead.  Egcs is the Experimental GNU Compiler System.  It is
somewhat equivalent to gcc/g++ 2.9x.x, sort of :).  Anyway, the egcs
version of g++ conforms much more closely to the latest C++ standard.
However, the current "stable" version of egcs doesn't yet support
namespaces, except for "namespace::std."  If you can wait till August,
when egcs 1.1 is supposed to be released then that version is supposed to
support general namespaces.  I'm not sure but it may also include the
latest version of SGI's STL (3.1).  Again, I am not sure about the latest
version of SGI's STL.  The new style C++ headers, <iostream> for example,
are also supported in the current version of egcs.  Are using bo?  Debian
2.0 (hamm) uses egcs c++ and FORTRAN by default.  The old gcc 2.7.2.3 is
still being used in hamm since there are kernel compile issues with gcc
2.8.x and egcs 1.x.

By the way, this is not local to Debian.  Any distribution that uses g++
will have these problems.

-Ossama

Ossama Othman <othman@astrosun.tn.cornell.edu>