Debian & Std C++?

This maybe isn't the most perfect forum for these questions, but it's one I
read...

What is the state of Standard C++ (as adopted by ISO/ANSI) on GNU/Linux?

I'm starting to use more true-blue C++ constructs at work, and it would be nice
to have them at home as well.

For instance, browsing my system I see that c++ is gcc version 2.7.2.3. It warns
that namespaces are mostly broken. The standard library is not enclosed in the
namespace "std", and "iostream.h" looks old and is not "iostream".

How long before I can type in every example from Stroustrup's latest book, and
have it compile on Debian GNU/Linux?

--
SEGV
Homepage:         http://www.cgocable.net/~mlepage/