magicfilter does ps?

On my old Slackware system, I manually installed APSfilter, and had my
printer setup correctly.  I could print text files without the
staircase effect, and simply type "lp somefile.ps" and postscript
files would print out automatically.

On Debian, now, I have magicfilter (not APSfilter) installed, and my
text file printing is okay, but if I try to lp a postscript, I get the
literal file printed, i.e. it does not come out looking as it does
under ghostview.

What do I need to do to ammend this situation?

Thank you!