emacs/xemacs conflict?

Why do the emacs and xemacs packages conflict under debian?  I wanted
to try xemacs, but had to "dpkg -r emacs" before I could "dpkg -i
xemacs"

Since I no longer have GNU emacs on my system, is it okay to make
/usr/local/bin/emacs a symbollic link to /usr/bin/xemacs?

Also, I got a few warning messages about removing emacs, but I didn't
think to Shift-PageUp them and actually investigate.  Should there be
any concern for the warnings I got when I did the "dpkg -r emacs"
(although I suppose this is a hard one to answer without actually
showing what these messages were, perhaps somebody has done this
before, though?).

Any comments?

Thanks!