Re: samba printing problems

*-Patrick Olson (22 Jul)

| I'm trying to print from Windows 3.1 to an Epson Stylus Pro connected to
| my Linux computer (using samba).
|
| Whenever I print anything very complicated (graphics, high-res text), it
| comes out with blank spaces, pieces missing, etc.
|
| I know it's something on the Linux computer because the printouts come out
| perfectly when I connect the printer directly to the Win3.1 computer.
|
| Since it does fine with simple jobs, I'm getting the idea that the problem
| is caused when a large amount of data needs to go to the printer.
|
| Any help in getting Linux to pass the jobs through intact would be
| appreciated.

Another way to test the source of the problem is to print to a file on
Win3.1. Then send the print file directly to the printer by 'cat
<file.prn> > /dev/lpN'  where N is probably 1 for 2.0.X kernels and 0
for 2.1.X kernels.  This will eliminate samba and lpr.  If that works
then redefine the 'print command' in your smb.conf to something like the
above 'print command = /bin/cat %s > /dev/lpN'.  If that works then it
is lpr.  Probably a filter. You should be passing the samba print data
directly to the lp device. I.E. no 'if' in the printcap file for the
printer used for samba.

Here are my relevant chunks:

#smb.conf

[deskjet]
   path = /var/spool/lpd/raw
   printer name = raw
   read only = yes
   public = yes
   printable = yes
   print command = /usr/bin/lpr -b -r -h -P%p %s
   create mode = 0700
   path = /tmp
   lpq command = /usr/bin/lpq %p
   lprm command = /usr/bin/lprm -P%p %j

# printcap

raw|djraw|hpdj660raw|HP Deskjet 660Cse Printer:\
        :lp=/dev/lp1:sd=/var/spool/lpd/raw:fx=flp:\
        :sh:rw:af=/var/log/lp-acct:lf=/var/log/lp-errs:

Good luck,

--
Brian