Re: X with a NeoMagic card

On Wed, Jul 22, 1998 at 02:01:31PM -0500, Matthew Myers wrote:
> I wrote earlier this week about having a neomagic video card in my laptop.
> This card is not normally supported by X, however I have found via searches
> an xserver for it.  Here is my problem, I must have the xserver configured
> wrong in my XF86Config file because when I start X the screen goes black and
> stays that way.  I can switch to other consoles and by clicking randomly
> start x applications so I know X is actually running, just not showing
> anything.  I am sure that others have run into this problem with other
> xservers, if someone can make a suggestion it would be much appreciated.

	Some neomagic cards are supported by the XBF servers released by
RedHat (I'm in the process of setup Linux on my brand new laptop which has
a Neomagic card).

	1. make sure that the neomagic card you have is supported
(README.neomagic should be the file that has the information.  I can send
you a copy of it if you don't have it handy).

	2. Try flipping (pressing, whatever) the external video / internal
video switch.  This was an issue for a Thinkpad I setup Linux on, that X,
by default, switched to the external video port, instead of displaying on
the panel.

	Also, a more general question to everyone, can one, legally,
repackage the XBF servers in a .deb?  I'd be interested in doing this, but
I'm not sure if it violates their license ...

-Seth

--
"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion"