X with a NeoMagic card

I wrote earlier this week about having a neomagic video card in my laptop.
This card is not normally supported by X, however I have found via searches
an xserver for it.  Here is my problem, I must have the xserver configured
wrong in my XF86Config file because when I start X the screen goes black and
stays that way.  I can switch to other consoles and by clicking randomly
start x applications so I know X is actually running, just not showing
anything.  I am sure that others have run into this problem with other
xservers, if someone can make a suggestion it would be much appreciated.