more newbie questions: un(b)locking /dev/lp1

Thanks for input on installation of XF86.  Now another question.  I
have an HP LJ5MP attached to the Debian box via a t-switch as
the bulk of my work has to continue to be from NT until I master
this learning curve (feeble grin!)

I got some output to the printer with a brief hack of /etc/printcap
using "Running LINUX" and a HOWTO or so as my guides.
Trouble was I used a longish printest and it was going to print out
umpteen pages as I'd forgotten the CR/LF issue so I switched off
the printer, cleared the paper jam and restarted.  Now lpc etc all
report the printer is offline.

In the meantime I hacked up an /etc/printcap with the help of
magicfilter (before I realised the Debian box couldn't see the printer
was back)  but the system is now reporting that the printer is offline
(it's not, moving the T-switch and printing from NT shows that).  cat
test > /dev/lp1 as root gets a statement that /dev/lp1 doesn't exist.
ls shows it does and the permissions look OK.  cat test | /dev/lp1
complains of a broken pipe.  I suspect that shutdown and reboot
would clear this but surely there's an easier way?  Anyone got the
answer or some clear directions in the umpteen sources of
documentation?!

Anyone got a good printcap for the 5MP that will maximise
sensible use of the PCL and PS modes through magicfilter and got
good advice for a newbie on how to make sure the right format files
(CR/LF, Unix and PS) get handled appropriately?

TIA

Chris

Chris Evans, Senior Lecturer in Psychotherapy,
Locum Consultant to the
  Prudence Skynner Family Therapy Clinic,
St. George's Hospital Medical School, London University
C.Evans@sghms.ac.uk    http://psyctc.sghms.ac.uk/