I was looking at debian-devel and noticed a discussion about E and that
the author refuses to put things in the locations where they would belong
under Debian.

I want to ask a general question about free software that was spawned by
looking at that thread.

If the software is GPL, isn't debian free to change it in any way they
want and put things anywhere they want as long as they (debian) provide
the source code? Why is debian at the mercy of the author?

Since when is anyone in the free software community at the mercy of the
author? I thought that was the whole point. You are free to make whatever
changes you want and distribute the software as you feel fit as long as
you include the source code.  Is there something else I am missing here?

Note that I am not a debian developer so I do not subscribe there. I think
the noise level over there is high enough but I think this is a general
enough question that it can live here.

George Bonser

Microsoft! Which end of the stick do you want today?