RE: Long text file to edit..

On Sun, 19 Jul 1998 Ted.Harding@nessie.mcc.ac.uk wrote:

> On 17-Jul-98 Carlos Marcos Kakihara wrote:
> >       I want to edit a 700MB text file.
>
> Ehh?? Are you sure it's 700MB?? And are you sure it's a pure plain text file?
> And, if so, have you thought about what that corresponds to?

How about this possibility: it's a PostScript file for a Imagesetter
(700Mb is not uncommon in this scenario). For some reason, you want to
check the paths of the EPS files that were embedded into it, and possibly
change some of them (say, for OPI post-processing). Sure you may grep
away, find the ones you need to change and write a script, but it *should*
be easier to open the file with an editor, search for the relevant lines
and, on some of them, make a correction.

See ya,
Nelson
lago@that.com.br
That's Internet!

"I'm a bitch, I'm a lover,
I'm a child, I'm a mother,
I'm a sinner, I'm a saint..." - Gee, where is that woman!!