installation problem

I'm having a lot of problems installing Bo.  I have been sent three
CDROMs, one marked 1.3 binaries, one marked source and one
marked "Custom+extras".  The one marked binaries and the
"custom" one both seem to have the necessary to install Debian.
Are there known differences?  Am I right to use the binaries one?

The crunch is that I seem to have got a basic install up and running
at last (nothing like Linux/Debian for finding problems huh: a failed
interrupt handler on my old motherboard and a loose SCSI cable
after that!)

My hardware is twin Pentium 90MHz, ASUS P/I-P65UP5
motherboard, built-in IDE switched off, comm, lpt & FD controllers
on and on their usual ports and IRQs, Adaptec 3940 (not U, not W)
and #9motion771 video.  Video is forced to IRQ15 using
motherboard slot allocation set-up, first Adaptec SCSI channel
picks 11 with second picking 10 which seems bizarre to me but I
couldn't find a more robust setting.  Mouse is PS2 using IRQ 12
and keyboard is 102key in UK/British layout.

I think the problem is with those last two both of which seem to
have been accepted correctly by the hardware of the basic bash
keyboard and mouse handling.  I can see a block cursor and can
move it (a little slower than I would probably chose but fine), I also
get the UK keymappings as far as I can see.  Now if I launch
XF86Setup the VGA graphic handler gets launched but seems to
default to "Microsoft" though pointing correctly to /dev/psaux. The
minute I touch the mouse the cursor jumps around and the display
fo the cursor coordinates moves (though I can hardly get the
mouse off 0 on the vertical). I can't set anything there and using the
keyboard to get to the keyboard section gets me the dropdown list
of keyboards but nothing I can do from there will get me anywhere,
nothing except the final ctrl-alt-backspace which crashes out of the
server with the message "The program is running on a different
virtual terminal.  Please switch to the correct virtual terminal" in a
graphics message box and "X connection to :7.0 broken (explicit
kill or server shutdown). at the bottom.  (I assume the latter is
sensible record of my having crashed out.)

Problem is that nothing I am doing is getting me an XF86Config file
anywhere.

Anyone tell me how to jump this little hurdle?  Anyone got a
working XF86Config file for a PS2 mouse and 102 key British
keyboard running under simple VGA or S3?

TIA,

Chris

Chris Evans, Senior Lecturer in Psychotherapy,
Locum Consultant to the
  Prudence Skynner Family Therapy Clinic,
St. George's Hospital Medical School, London University
C.Evans@sghms.ac.uk    http://psyctc.sghms.ac.uk/