Installation problem

I am attempting to install linux from 15 Oct 97 version, using the
resc1440 floppy.  I have gotten as far as Install Operating System
Kernel & Modules in resc1440.bin floppy.  The computer reads the floppy
& then responds with
/target/boot/vmlinuz-2.0.29: Success
Attempt to extract rescue floppy failed
Then: Install Operating System Kernel & Modules
I tried skipping this step to loading the module but it did not like the
base1 floppy either.
I think the partitioning is complete, using all of my drive D:.
I am running MSDOS (V. 6.22 ?) on a '386 clone with 8 megs ram & two
HD's, C: & what used to be D:.
Tnx for any help.  John L. Way