Re: memtest

> Gary L. Hennigan wrote:
> >
> > Lawrence <ychim@ForeverMail.com> writes:
> > | I want to test my 256megs but can't figure out arguments.  Can anyeone
> > | tell me the proper command line arguments to run the memtest?
> >
> > Oops! Right after I sent that first reply I noticed my error. I used
> > bytes instead of bits. That calculation should've been:
> >
> > ((256*1024^2)*8)/32 = 67108864
> >
> > memtest 67108864 <n>
> >
> > where <n> = the number of iterations you want to perform should do the
> > trick.
> >
> > Sorry for the mistake in the first message.
> >
> > Gary
>
> what would happen if I use a number bigger than your, e.g. 67108865 or
> even 70000000?

Swapping.  This will happen already if you use an amount as big as your
memory, because it is quite likely that you use at least some part of
your physical memory.  If you go beyond your physical + swap size, the
program will hopefully be terminated if it tries to use all of it.  Just
try it : )

Eric

--
 E.L. Meijer (tgakem@chem.tue.nl)          | tel. office +31 40 2472189
 Eindhoven Univ. of Technology             | tel. lab.   +31 40 2475032