Re: Configuring GNOME v.20?

Maarten Boekhold wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Jul 1998, Ed Cogburn wrote:
>
> > I've installed the GNOME packages, but I missed the message during
> > install that mentioned making a change to /etc/X11/window-managers.  I
> > now have no window manager running, and I can't for the life of me
> > figure out what I'm supposed to do to get the GNOME system running.
> > There's nothing helpful in '/usr/doc/gnome-*', and there are no man
> > pages.  What do I do to the window-managers file to get GNOME to come
> > up, and what are the config files for GNOME, i.e., how do you configure
> > it?
>
> You shouldn't have to change anything to the window-managers file. Gnome
> does not contains a window-manager, gnome *is* not a window manager. You
> should get your preferable windowmanager running, and then add
> 'panel &' to your .xsession (if you're running xdm) or .xinitrc (if you're
> using startx), and if you want to gsm (the gnome session manager, it's in
> package gnome-session). If you add these, remember to put them *before*
> any call to a window-manager, or else they wont be started. I'm sure
> somebody else can give a better explanation....
>
> Maarten

	Ok, I've got a .xinitrc file that starts a window-manager et. al.
However, X's startup sequence seems to be dysfunctional;  it no longer
reads /etc/X11/Xresources automatically.  I have to include an xrdb line
in .xinitrc to force it to read Xresources.  I never used an .xinitrc
file before.  Before installing GNOME everything worked fine.  Does
GNOME effectively require every user to have an .xinitrc file?  Is
anyone using it without an explicit .xinitrc file?

--
Ed