Re: Keeping Machine Up - Advice Needed

timothy@smasher.rs.itd.umich.edu writes:

>         Tomorow I am leaving the country for about a month and I would like to
> ensure that my machine stays up and online the whole time so I can telnet in
> and access certain files.  -  So does anyone have any tips on things I should
> do / measures to put in place to minimize the chance of my machine going down /
> offline while I'm not here?

I don't know if you have the same kind of problems I do, but make sure
your hardware is solid before you worry about software.  I have a
Supra external modem, and it looks like it doesn't do a proper
power-on reset.  If I have a momentary power flicker, the odds are
fairly good that the modem will be completely locked up.  The only fix
is to unplug the modem for a few seconds, and it will then come up
fine.  This wouldn't be a problem if I had a UPS, but it seems a
little ridiculous to buy a UPS just for a modem.

--
Carl Johnson		carlj@peak.org