Re: passwords at Debian's FTP site

On Sun, 19 Jul 1998 10:05:28 +0100 (BST)
(Ted Harding) <Ted.Harding@nessie.mcc.ac.uk> wrote:

> Anonymous ftp (i.e. you respond "anonymous" when asked for user name) DOES
> typically ask for a password, but entering any syntactically correct email
> address at this point is usually sufficient (though some sites may check that
> this matches what they know you are connecting from). Some sites may have
> their
> anonymous ftp configured so as not to require a password, but these are
> exceptional.

I've always found that 'guest@' is sufficient to get into an anonymous
FTP site. Then again, I'm a paranoid sort of person, and I don't use
Netscape for mail, so I never enter an email address into Netscape's
email entry. It's never stopped me from getting into an anonymous FTP
site (wonder what it sends when it's blank?).

damon

--
Damon Muller              | Did a large procession wave their torches
(damon@empire.net.au)     | As my head fell in the basket,