Re: passwords at Debian's FTP site

On 19-Jul-98 Martin Bialasinski wrote:

>>> "DJ" == Dave Jones <kajukenbo@ibm.net> writes:
>
> DJ> I was going to download the latest
> DJ> libc5 and netstd packages from debian's ftp site and it asks for a
> username
> DJ> and password when I try to save the files.
>
> You log in as anonymous to ftp.debian.org and issue a get command. You
> are then asked about a password? IIRC, the ftp protocol has no means
> for doing so.

Anonymous ftp (i.e. you respond "anonymous" when asked for user name) DOES
typically ask for a password, but entering any syntactically correct email
address at this point is usually sufficient (though some sites may check that
this matches what they know you are connecting from). Some sites may have their
anonymous ftp configured so as not to require a password, but these are
exceptional.

Of course if you give anything other than "anonymous" as username, then you will
only get in if
(a) the username you give exists as an account on the remote machine,
(b) the password that you give is the correct password for that account,
(c) the remote site is configured to allow ftp access from your local machine

But it is quite normal for ftp to ask for a password!

Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <Ted.Harding@nessie.mcc.ac.uk>
Date: 19-Jul-98                                       Time: 10:05:28