Re: Help with sound

On Sun, 19 Jul 1998, Ian Keith Setford wrote:

> Yo-
>
> > I can't get my sound to work.  Everything that uses sound says it
> can't
> > open the sound device.  Bplay gave me the best lead with this:
> > bplay: /dev/dsp: Device not configured
> >
> > My question is, how do I configure /dev/dsp?  MAKEDEV doesn't appear to do
> > anything.
> Do you have /dev/dsp support in your kernel?  What type of sound card do
> you have?  Is it PnP?
>
> -Ian
> Ian Setford                                      ians@jove.acs.unt.edu
>
> 		PGP = F2 92 50 E3 CD D7 A2 D9  C4 CE 08 A6 98 E0 0F 58

Yes I have /dev/dsp and /dev/audio support compiled into my kernel, and I
believe my sound card is pnp.  Isapnp finds it and I made sure it's
configuration is correct.  I have an onboard SB16/WSS card.  Winbloze
finds two devices, but as far as I know, there is only one sound card.
When I used pnpdump, it found the sound card and one of the setting was
identical to Window's setup of my sb16.  I put the correct settings into
the kernel and went to /usr/src/linux-2.0.34/devices/soun and did a make.
Then I did a make dep clean zImage modules modules_install install in
/usr/src/linux-2.0.34, so it should be in the kernel.

| ratirh@lore.cs.purdue.edu : Role-Player, Babylon 5 fanatic      1997-98 |
| Homepage: www.cs.purdue.edu/homes/ratirh (Careful it's not completed)   |
| "The past brings pain, the future depression,                           |
|  the present disappointment.  The only thing that remains is the moment.|
|  Live for the moment, and enjoy life.  You only have one chance. "      |