Re: Really dont like this WAS: signal 32

Ok, I upgraded corsica and calvin both to todays current packages. The
gibberish on the kill -32 is gone and all looks like it is the same on
both systems.

I upgraded libc6 as well as bsdutils and a few other packages that should
not have messed with signals at all but anyhow, all is now okey dokey.

On Sat, 18 Jul 1998, George Bonser wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Jul 1998, George Bonser wrote:
>
> > $ hostname
> > corsica
> > $ sleep 90&
> > [1] 648
> > $ kill -32 648
> > $ ps ax 648
> >   PID TTY STAT TIME COMMAND
> > No processes available.
> > [1]+  UPaE}  sleep 90
> >
> > Now on calvin:
> >
> > $ hostname
> > calvin
> > $ sleep 90&
> > [1] 17929
> > $ kill -32 17929
> > $ ps ax 17929
> >   PID TTY STAT TIME COMMAND
> > No processes available.
> > [1]+  Unknown signal 32       sleep 90
> >

> I don't know but this looks kinda scary to me. It looks like something is
> reaching into an area of memory that it should not.  Recap:
>
> CALVIN signals to a sleep command:
>
> Signal 3	dumps core
> Signal 32	dies with invalid signal
>
> CORSICA signals to a sleep command:
>
> Signal 3	Exits with QUIT
> Signal 32	Dies with gibberish that can not be fully cut-pasted.
>

> Configuration:
>
> CALVIN
>
> kernel 2.0.32 libc-4.6.27 libc-5.4.38-1 libc-2.0.7t-1
>
> CORSICA
>
> kernel 2.0.32 libc-5.4.38-1 libc-2.0.7s-1
>
> Bother kernels were built by me but from the standard source packages with
> the standard kernel headers packages and symlinks as dpkg sets them up ...
> no tinkering. These are what I consider production systems.
>
> I am going to upgrade the libc6 on corsica and see if it makes any
> difference.
>

> --

George Bonser

Microsoft! Which end of the stick do you want today?