simple perl question

In a perl script i need to load a variable ($CurrentTime) with the
systems current time. Normally I would consult with my reference books
but am not able to get to them. I find myself using them when I need to
work in perl which is not very often...
I'm looking for time_stamp something like "07/17/98 14:42:09" for a
requirement that has surfaced.
I thought maybe something like:

$CurrentTime=exec`date "+%D %T"`;
print $CurrentTime;

Hope that jibberish above made sense :-/

Oh yeah... The perl version is rather old (v. 4.0.1.8). upgrading is not
an option for those solutions requiring version 5.x.
 Thanks for any help.

Please reply to david.oswald@citicorp.com and the group...