Hard drive spindown settings

I was looking at the hdparm package yesterday...
a while back I set my stystem up to issue
hdparm -S 240 /dev/hda
at boot...but I am realizing that my drive never spins down.
in fact it seems liek every few seconds I hear it access...
I was wondering...
is this a side effect of "update" running? (I know it flushes the buffers
every 5 seconds).
Is there some reason that hdparm is useless (in this regard)?
it also seems if I hdparm -y /dev/hda
the drive does spin down...but then a few seconds later spins back up!
its starting to piss me off a bit.
I thought of killing update to see if it helps but...I thought better
of it (just in case)
id update needed?

Maybe it is just my paranoia....but I have had enough hard drive
crashes and general failures...id like to minimize the possibility of failure
and so id like it to spin down when not in use.
any ideas?

-Steve

E-mail "Bumper Stickers":
"A FREE America or a Drug-Free America: You can't have both!"
"honk if you Love Linux"