Re: Dumping Core on Purpose

On Thu, 16 Jul 1998, Stephen J. Carpenter wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 16, 1998 at 12:13:44PM -0400, Brian White wrote:
> > > Yes. use CTRL-\
> >
> > I've never heard of that.
>
> neither have I....I just tried it...it makes programs exit fast but
> I have yet to produce a core dump with it
>
> > Actually, though...  I was looking for the program to dump core when it
> > wanted (rather than at user request) and then be able to keep executing.
>
> I already replied once...I suggested signals how about this:
> if (fork() == 0)
> 	signal(getpid(), SIGFPE);

How about abort()?? From the Solaris manpages:

     Catching the signal is intended to provide  the  application
     writer  with a portable means to abort processing, free from
     possible  interference  from   any   implementation-provided
     library   functions.   If  SIGABRT  is  neither  caught  nor
     ignored, and the current directory is writable, a core  dump
     may be produced.

Maarten

| TU Delft, The Netherlands, Faculty of Information Technology and Systems  |
|                   Department of Electrical Engineering                    |
|           Computer Architecture and Digital Technique section             |
|                          M.Boekhold@et.tudelft.nl                         |