Re: Dead keys in X.

First, thank you for all the help.

Well, today I decided to read more carefully about what does XKB
support.

The main texts where I got information (after digging the net) were:

http://www.tux.org/~balsa/linux/deadkeys/
http://web.fdn.fr/~tquinot/dead-keys.en.html

And the README file in the diacrd-brazilian package (I'll copy it at the
end of the mail).

As far as I could understand, the XKeyboard extensions only support X
applications that were correctly configured, as the following text
shows:

"16.2 Using Latin-1 Keyboard Event Functions
     Chapter 13 describes internationalized text input facilities, but
sometimes it is expedient to write an
     application that only deals with Latin-1 characters and ASCII
controls, so Xlib provides a simple
     function for that purpose. XLookupString handles the standard
modifier semantics described in
     section 12.7. This function does not use any of the input method
facilities described in chapter 13 and
     does not depend on the current locale.
     To map a key event to an ISO Latin-1 string, use XLookupString."

But most of the X applications are not using XLookupString, at least
that what is told in the first URL above. One example is my netscape
4.05. Another funny example is StarOffice4 (in fact it supports the new
X style, but due to a bug it doesn't work well with tildes!).

So even if I manage to configure XKB to give me the dead keys I'll be
without its support in some programs.