Printing Mac PS files containing binary data

We have a problem with binary PS files (primarily from Adobe applications
like Photoshop, Illustrator etc) where they get corrupted on the way to
the printer with the result that hundreds of pages spit out of the printer
with a few random characters on them rather than one page of the desired
print job.

We think the problem lies in either netatalk or lpr or both.

ASCII ps files print fine from all machines (Macs, PCs and Linux)

We have very little trouble with files from PCs, but then our PCs do very
little graphic work and hence are less likely to produce PS files with
binary data buried inside.

Has anyone any experience with this problem AND found a solution?

Setup:
Macs: OS8.1
Server: Debian, Netatalk 1.4b2
Printer: HP5 SiMX

-----
Richard Wraith                   IT Co-ordinator
Trinity College  Parkville  Melbourne  Australia
tel: +61-3-9349 0224        mobile: 0417 361 093
rgw@trinity.unimelb.edu.au