Re: PNP modem

On Thu, 16 Jul 1998, Jens B. Jorgensen wrote:

> Robert Henry Rati wrote:

> > > First, if your modem really is PNP then pnpdump should certainly find it. pnpdump doesn't
> > > use any config file at all. It discovers PNP boards through the process defined in the spec.
> > > Basically, PNP boards are supposed to read/write on a special PNP IO address. It could be
> > > though that after a device is configured it no longer has to look at this port. It could be
> > > that this last statement is true and that your BIOS is PNP aware and is setting up the
> > > hardware before you get the chance to. In this case as long as it assigns the same IO/IRQ
> > > each time (it should as long as you don't add or remove hardware) you don't need to run
> > > isapnp at all, you just need to do 'setserial /dev/ttyS? blah blah'.
> > My Bios is PNP aware, I know that.  When you run pnpdump, what output does
> > it give you if it finds something?  When I run it, I get a long list of
> > what looks like the isapnp.conf file with a lot of stuff commented out.
> > Infact, it doesn't look like anything is commented in.  If setserial will
> > work, is there a way to have my modem configured via setserial on bootup?
> >

> Right, the output of pnpdump is exactly a isapnp.conf file with everything commented out. The key
> thing though is that it puts in the necessary device lines so that you can address the device you
> want to configure. The idea is that you first run pnpdump to create the template and then edit it
> to create your isapnp.conf. Why don't you email me the output of pnpdump and we'll take a look.
>
> --
> Jens B. Jorgensen
> jjorgens@bdsinc.com

Here's what pnpdump gives, although might be slightly off since I had to
edit it with windoze so I could send it.
# $Id: pnpdump.c,v 1.1.1.2 1998/01/07 05:17:47 fred Exp $
# This is free software, see the sources for details.
# This software has NO WARRANTY, use at your OWN RISK
#
# For details of this file format, see isapnp.conf(5)
#
# For latest information on isapnp and pnpdump see:
# http://www.roestock.demon.co.uk/isapnptools/
#
# Compiler flags: -DREALTIME -DNEEDSETSCHEDULER -DNEEDNANOSLEEP
#
# Trying port address 0203
# Board 1 has serial identifier 8d 01 00 01 00 01 00 a9 0d
# Board 2 has serial identifier 00 1a 13 c8 05 00 14 49 0a

# (DEBUG)
(READPORT 0x0203)
(ISOLATE)
(IDENTIFY *)
# Card 1: (serial identifier 8d 01 00 01 00 01 00 a9 0d)
# Vendor Id CMI0001, Serial Number 16777472, checksum 0x8D.
# Version 1.0, Vendor version 0.0
# ANSI string -->CMI8330. Audio Adapter<--
#
# Logical device id @@@0001
#
# Edit the entries below to uncomment out the configuration required.
# Note that only the first value of any range is given, this may be
changed if required
# Don't forget to uncomment the activate (ACT Y) when happy
# (CONFIGURE CMI0001/16777472 (LD 0
# Multiple choice time, choose one only !
#     Start dependent functions: priority preferred
#       Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x0530
#             Maximum IO base address 0x0530
#             IO base alignment 1 bytes
#             Number of IO addresses required: 8
# (IO 0 (BASE 0x0530))
#       Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x0388
#             Maximum IO base address 0x0388
#             IO base alignment 1 bytes
#             Number of IO addresses required: 8
# (IO 1 (BASE 0x0388))
#       IRQ 11.
#             High true, edge sensitive interrupt (by default)
# (INT 0 (IRQ 11 (MODE +E)))
#       First DMA channel 0.
#             8 bit DMA only
#             Logical device is not a bus master
#             DMA may execute in count by byte mode
#             DMA may not execute in count by word mode
#             DMA channel speed in compatible mode
# (DMA 0 (CHANNEL 0))

#       Start dependent functions: priority acceptable
#       Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x0530
#             Maximum IO base address 0x0530
#             IO base alignment 1 bytes
#             Number of IO addresses required: 8
# (IO 0 (BASE 0x0530))
#       Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x0388
#             Maximum IO base address 0x0388
#             IO base alignment 1 bytes
#             Number of IO addresses required: 8
# (IO 1 (BASE 0x0388))
#       IRQ 5, 7, 9, 10, 11 or 12.
#             High true, edge sensitive interrupt (by default)
# (INT 0 (IRQ 5 (MODE +E)))
#       First DMA channel 0, 1 or 3.
#             8 bit DMA only
#             Logical device is not a bus master
#             DMA may execute in count by byte mode
#             DMA may not execute in count by word mode
#             DMA channel speed in compatible mode
# (DMA 0 (CHANNEL 0))

#       Start dependent functions: priority acceptable
#       Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x0e80
#             Maximum IO base address 0x0f40
#             IO base alignment 192 bytes
#             Number of IO addresses required: 8
# (IO 0 (BASE 0x0e80))
#       Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x0388
#             Maximum IO base address 0x03f8
#             IO base alignment 16 bytes
#             Number of IO addresses required: 8
# (IO 1 (BASE 0x0388))
#       IRQ 5, 7, 9, 10, 11 or 12.
#             High true, edge sensitive interrupt (by default)
# (INT 0 (IRQ 5 (MODE +E)))
#       First DMA channel 0, 1 or 3.
#             8 bit DMA only
#             Logical device is not a bus master
#             DMA may execute in count by byte mode
#             DMA may not execute in count by word mode
#             DMA channel speed in compatible mode
# (DMA 0 (CHANNEL 0))

#     End dependent functions
# (ACT Y)))
#
# Logical device id @H@0001
#
# Edit the entries below to uncomment out the configuration required.
# Note that only the first value of any range is given, this may be
changed if required
# Don't forget to uncomment the activate (ACT Y) when happy(CONFIGURE
CMI0001/16777472 (LD 1

# Multiple choice time, choose one only !

#     Start dependent functions: priority preferred
#       Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x0330
#             Maximum IO base address 0x0330
#             IO base alignment 1 bytes
#             Number of IO addresses required: 2
# (IO 0 (BASE 0x0330))
#       IRQ 9.
#             High true, edge sensitive interrupt (by default)
# (INT 0 (IRQ 9 (MODE +E)))

#       Start dependent functions: priority acceptable
#       Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x0300
#             Maximum IO base address 0x0330
#             IO base alignment 16 bytes
#             Number of IO addresses required: 2
# (IO 0 (BASE 0x0300))
#       IRQ 5, 7, 9, 10, 11 or 12.

# Logical device id @P@0001
#
# Edit the entries below to uncomment out the configuration required.
# Note that only the first value of any range is given, this may be
changed if required
# Don't forget to uncomment the activate (ACT Y) when happy(CONFIGURE
CMI0001/16777472 (LD 2

# Multiple choice time, choose one only !
#     Start dependent functions: priority preferred
#       Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x0200
#             Maximum IO base address 0x0200
#             IO base alignment 1 bytes
#             Number of IO addresses required: 8
# (IO 0 (BASE 0x0200))

#       Start dependent functions: priority acceptable
#       Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x0200
#             Maximum IO base address 0x0fe0
#             IO base alignment 16 bytes

# Logical device id @X@0001
#
# Edit the entries below to uncomment out the configuration required.
# Note that only the first value of any range is given, this may be
changed if required
# Don't forget to uncomment the activate (ACT Y) when happy(CONFIGURE
CMI0001/16777472 (LD 3

# Multiple choice time, choose one only !
#     Start dependent functions: priority preferred
#       Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x0220
#             Maximum IO base address 0x0220
#             IO base alignment 1 bytes
#             Number of IO addresses required: 16
# (IO 0 (BASE 0x0220))
#       IRQ 5.
#             High true, edge sensitive interrupt (by default)
# (INT 0 (IRQ 5 (MODE +E)))
#       First DMA channel 1.
#             8 bit DMA only
#             Logical device is not a bus master
#             DMA may execute in count by byte mode
#             DMA may not execute in count by word mode
#             DMA channel speed in compatible mode
# (DMA 0 (CHANNEL 1))
#       Next DMA channel 5.
#             16 bit DMA only
#             Logical device is not a bus master
#             DMA may not execute in count by byte mode
#             DMA may execute in count by word mode
#             DMA channel speed in compatible mode
# (DMA 1 (CHANNEL 5))
#       Start dependent functions: priority acceptable
#       Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x0220
#             Maximum IO base address 0x0240
#             IO base alignment 32 bytes
#             Number of IO addresses required: 16
# (IO 0 (BASE 0x0220))
#       IRQ 5, 7, 9 or 10.
#             High true, edge sensitive interrupt (by default)
# (INT 0 (IRQ 5 (MODE +E)))
#       First DMA channel 0, 1 or 3.
#             8 bit DMA only
#             Logical device is not a bus master
#             DMA may execute in count by byte mode
#             DMA may not execute in count by word mode
#             DMA channel speed in compatible mode
# (DMA 0 (CHANNEL 0))
#       Next DMA channel 5 or 7.
#             16 bit DMA only
#             Logical device is not a bus master
#             DMA may not execute in count by byte mode
#             DMA may execute in count by word mode
#             DMA channel speed in compatible mode
# (DMA 1 (CHANNEL 5))

#       Start dependent functions: priority acceptable
#       Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x0220
#             Maximum IO base address 0x0280
#             IO base alignment 32 bytes
[...]

# End tag... Checksum 0x00 (OK)

# Card 2: (serial identifier 00 1a 13 c8 05 00 14 49 0a)
# Vendor Id BRI1400, Serial Number 437504005, checksum 0x00.
# ANSI string -->Boca Research 33,600 ACF Modem <--
# Version 1.0, Vendor version 0.0
#
# Logical device id BRI1400
#     Device support I/O range check register
#
# Edit the entries below to uncomment out the configuration required.
# Note that only the first value of any range is given, this may be
changed if required
# Don't forget to uncomment the activate (ACT Y) when happy(CONFIGURE
BRI1400/437504005 (LD 0

# Multiple choice time, choose one only !

#     Start dependent functions: priority acceptable
#       Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x03f8
#             Maximum IO base address 0x03f8
#             IO base alignment 8 bytes
#             Number of IO addresses required: 8
# (IO 0 (BASE 0x03f8))
#       IRQ 4.
#             High true, level sensitive interrupt
# (INT 0 (IRQ 4 (MODE +L)))

#       Start dependent functions: priority acceptable
#       Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x02f8
#             Maximum IO base address 0x02f8
#             IO base alignment 8 bytes
#             Number of IO addresses required: 8
# (IO 0 (BASE 0x02f8))
#       IRQ 3.
#             High true, level sensitive interrupt
# (INT 0 (IRQ 3 (MODE +L)))

#       Start dependent functions: priority acceptable
#       Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x03e8
#             Maximum IO base address 0x03e8
#             IO base alignment 8 bytes
#             Number of IO addresses required: 8
# (IO 0 (BASE 0x03e8))
#       IRQ 4.
#             High true, level sensitive interrupt
# (INT 0 (IRQ 4 (MODE +L)))

#       Start dependent functions: priority acceptable
#       Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x02e8
#             Maximum IO base address 0x02e8
#             IO base alignment 8 bytes
#             Number of IO addresses required: 8
# (IO 0 (BASE 0x02e8))
#       IRQ 3.
#             High true, level sensitive interrupt
# (INT 0 (IRQ 3 (MODE +L)))

#       Start dependent functions: priority acceptable
#       Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x03f8
#             Maximum IO base address 0x03f8
#             IO base alignment 8 bytes
#             Number of IO addresses required: 8
# (IO 0 (BASE 0x03f8))
#       IRQ 3, 5, 7, 9, 10, 11, 12 or 15.
#             High true, level sensitive interrupt
# (INT 0 (IRQ 3 (MODE +L)))

#       Start dependent functions: priority acceptable
#       Logical device decodes 16 bit IO address lines
#             Minimum IO base address 0x02f8
#             Maximum IO base address 0x02f8
#             IO base alignment 8 bytes
#             Number of IO addresses required: 8
# (IO 0 (BASE 0x02f8))
#       IRQ 4, 5, 7, 9, 10, 11, 12 or 15.
[...]

#             Minimum IO base address 0x0100
#             Maximum IO base address 0xfff8
#             IO base alignment 8 bytes
#             Number of IO addresses required: 8
# (IO 0 (BASE 0x0100))
#       IRQ 3, 4, 5, 7, 9, 10, 11, 12 or 15.
#             High true, level sensitive interrupt
# (INT 0 (IRQ 3 (MODE +L)))

#     End dependent functions
# (ACT Y)))
# End tag... Checksum 0x00 (OK)
# Returns all cards to the "Wait for Key" state
(WAITFORKEY)

I have a Boca 33,600 modem, and it looks like it finds it, but I'm not
sure what lines to uncomment.  It's on IRQ 3, Com 2, IO:02F8-02FF.

| ratirh@lore.cs.purdue.edu : Role-Player, Babylon 5 fanatic      1997-98 |
| Homepage: www.cs.purdue.edu/homes/ratirh (Careful it's not completed)   |
| "The past brings pain, the future depression,                           |
|  the present disappointment.  The only thing that remains is the moment.|
|  Live for the moment, and enjoy life.  You only have one chance. "      |