Re: named setup problems

On Thu, Jul 16, 1998 at 10:17:45AM -0500, Jens B. Jorgensen wrote:
> Hack is the word alright. My opinion is that you're attacking this problem the wrong
> way though. Now let me make sure I've got it right. When your connection is down
> (diald? pon? xisp? ???) programs are trying to make DNS lookups and these programs
> hang for a long time waiting for a DNS response which doesn't come back. What names
> are they looking up? It stands to reason that unless you're trying to use the internet
> you shouldn't need to look up any host which isn't local. There no reason not to have
> local hosts in your local bind database, right?

Well the thing is... I have worked out how to swicth between
"online" and "offline" modes...actually simple...
the idea is to have 2 dirs /var/named-online and /var/named-offline
then have /var/named a sym link to the proper one.
in the same script that changes the sym link issue
kill -SIGHUP `cat /var/run/named.pid`

My question is on how to setup named so that it is capable of answering the
queries of my machines about eachother
(ie if kitty wants to resolve shit-box.carpanet to check out the
web server)

-Steve

> Stephen J. Carpenter wrote:
>
> > I have been trying to solve some issues for myself by making my
> > own version of a "dynamic IP hack". I think its a great idea but
> > implimenting it is proving tough.
> >
> > The reason is this: I have 127.0.0.1 setup as my main name server.
> > whenever my ppp connection is not up, any program which ends up causing a DNS
> > lookup can be a PITA ...since it tends to try and wait for a long time.
> >
> > the "workaround" has been to kill named but...My machine is setup as the
> > nameserver by all the machines on my network (woo hoo...all 3 of them)
> > anyway here was my idea:
> >
> > copy the bind setup...
> > then setup one of them so that it has no knowledge of any root servers and
> > is the primary nameserver for the network...and list no other
> > outside adresses or nameservers anywhere.
> >
> > This would basically be the setup of a machine that is never to be internet
> > connected.
> > The other setup wouyld have those configs and also know about internet
> > nameservers and cache requests to them....
> > How do I setthis up?
> > I have read the BIND docs...I even read the manual by Paul Vixie:
> > Name Server Operations Guide for BIND
> > I just can't figure out exactly how to set it up...
> > my setup:
> > I have a network of 3 machines:
> > Win95 machine name: Spiderman (my father's PC..he named it) 10.0.0.35
> > Linux Box: Shit-Box 10.0.0.42
> > my girlfriends Mac: kitty 10.0.0.11
> >
> > Shit-Box (name has a long story attached ;) ) is the internet gateway (when
> > ppp is up), the web server, the name server, mail server, etc...
> >
> > I would provide more info but...I needed bind working so I had to
> > dpkg -r bind...then trash the config and re-install it
> > (I screwed it and my backup setup both up)
> >
> > currently I am calling my network carpanet (as in Shit-box.carpanet)
> > can anyone help set this up? any pointers to more good info
> > (Paul Vixie's manual is very good but obviously isn't doing it for me)
> > -Steve
> >
> > --
> > /* -- Stephen Carpenter <sjc@delphi.com> ------------------------------ */
> > A favorite quote from a source I forget:
> > "Only Microsoft can take an algorithim that has been under years of
> > public scrutiny and weaken it to the point where the entire key space
> > can be searched in 3 days"
> >
> > --
>

> --
> Jens B. Jorgensen
> jjorgens@bdsinc.com

E-mail "Bumper Stickers":
"A FREE America or a Drug-Free America: You can't have both!"
"honk if you Love Linux"